Workspace Culture in the U.S

I am nervous to start my first job in the U.S., what do I need to know about the workplace culture

Hi Ethan, the business culture in the U.S. is less formal and less hierarchical compared to other countries. Employees often address one another by their first name, have greater access to superiors, and exhibit a relaxed approach to dress and communication. For certain fields of work, you need to dress more formally, compared to others. For example, sales, finance, and accounting need to dress in a more formal way, compared to those in academia, media, or tech.

While meeting a colleague or a client, it is considered polite to stand and offer a brief, firm handshake with eye contact and a smile. One more thing that you need to keep in mind is that the U.S. has long working hours, employees take fewer holidays than most other industrialized countries. Research shows that Americans work around 20% more than the European average. The standard workweek is usually from Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM, but remember to be flexible about your work schedule.